A big concern for many starting out with weight training is their joint and bone health.
Many have come to believe that movements such as squats, deadlifts, and bench press can actually do more harm to their body than good. This could not be any further from the truth. Fact is, these compound movements are AMAZING for your body as well as your joints and bones.
For example, if your knees are hurting while doing squats, then you are doing them incorrectly. Proper squat form and going below parallel with strengthen not only your glutes and hamstrings, but also your knees.
Tips to squat correctly
- Squat Below Parallel. Partial Squats will not strengthen your posterior chain, causing muscle imbalances. Your hip joint must come lower than your knee joint. Take a video yourself or ask someone to check your depth.
- Sit Back. Meaning, squat down by moving your hips first. Push your hips back as far as you can. Lower the weight and stretch your hamstrings if needed
- Knees & Toes Out. Keeping your knees pointing out strengthens your adductors. Your feet must be inline with your thighs.
- Heels on The Floor. Squatting with your heels off the floor stresses your knees. Many who claim that they have knee pain during squats, tend to raise their heels up.
Your joint and bone health are very important. Being a healthy weight will also decrease issues. This is just another reason why exercise like weight training is so important. Others ways you can improve your joint and bone heath are…
- Stretch. I like to do yoga in the morning or in the evening. It helps relax me and keeps my joints lubricated and my muscles flexible.
- Warm up. This not only primes your body for exercise by raising the temperature, but also lubricates your joints.
- Roll it out. Foam rolling or myofascial release can also help resolve joint pain.
- Weight training. As I stated before this is more than beneficial. Weight training helps you build muscle to support your bones and joints. With SBSC online personal training, you have full access to video instructions on how to have proper form and get the most out of your training.
- Core strengthening workouts. This is WHY compound movements like squats, deadlifts, and bench press are so important. They incorporate your core and strengthen your body as a whole.
- Saturn Supplement’s Joint Matrix. I weight train 5 days a week for 1.5-2 hours at a time. More so when I am in contest prep. It is very important for me to make sure my body is functioning is at it’s most optimal. Saturn’s Joint Matrix is the ultimate in joint and ligament nutritional support in an easy to swallow single tablet form. This advanced formula provides your body with virtually every important joint and ligament aid known to date. This special formula is formulated in a natural base containing several micro-nutrients and vitamins. This Maximum Support Formula helps rebuild, regenerate and maintain collagen and fluids in joints and cartilage. Made with Shark Cartilage, Green Lipped Sea Mussel and Boron for added nutritional support to joints and ligaments. Great price point and hand down the best product on the market for bone and joint health!
Follow these tips and you will see much improvement in your joint and bone health!